Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Greek Yogurt
11/22/2019 / By Rose Lidell / Comments
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Greek Yogurt

On its own, homemade hummus is a delicious and healthy dip for pita bread or assorted vegetables. But if you’re having a party and you want to wow your guests, take things up a notch by serving roasted red pepper hummus with Greek yogurt.

Bell peppers (Capsicum annuum) are related to chili peppers and tomatoes. Bell peppers, a.k.a. capsicums or sweet peppers, can be consumed raw or cooked.

This low-calorie superfood is full of vitamin C and other antioxidants. Fresh, raw bell peppers are made up of 92% water. The remaining 8% includes carbs and trace amounts of fat and protein.

The carbs in bell peppers account for most of their calorie content. A 3.5 oz (100 g) serving of red bell peppers contains 6 g of carbs.

100% organic essential oil sets now available for your home and personal care, including Rosemary, Oregano, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Clary Sage and more, all 100% organic and laboratory tested for safety. A multitude of uses, from stress reduction to topical first aid. See the complete listing here, and help support this news site.

The carbs in red bell peppers, like fructose and glucose, give them their sweet taste.

Bell peppers are full of the following vitamins and minerals:

  • Folate – Folate, which is also called vitamin B9, has various functions in the body.
  • Potassium – Potassium is an essential mineral that can help boost your cardiovascular health.
  • Vitamin A – Red bell peppers are rich in pro-vitamin A (beta carotene). When you consume red bell peppers, your body turns beta carotene into vitamin A.
  • Vitamin C – A medium-sized red bell pepper contains a whopping 169% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for vitamin C. This makes the superfood one of the best dietary sources of this potent antioxidant.
  • Vitamin E – Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant. You need the vitamin to maintain nerve and muscle health.

Ingredients for 6 servings

  • 6 oz fire-roasted red bell peppers (or plain roasted red peppers)
  • 1 16-oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
  • ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, whole milk
  • 3 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • Salt, to taste

Garnish

  • Roasted red peppers, chopped
  • Fresh parsley
  • Kalamata olives
  • Olive oil
  • Sprinkle of paprika

Preparation

  1. Combine the red bell pepper, chickpeas, Greek yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic cloves in a food processor. Blend the hummus for 30 seconds.
  2. Add the olive oil. Continue to blend until you reach the desired consistency.
  3. Taste the hummus and add salt as needed.
  4. Transfer the hummus into a bowl, then garnish with chopped and roasted red bell peppers, fresh parsley, olives, and olive oil.
  5. Serve with pita or vegetables.

If you want a thinner hummus, add more olive oil. You can also make the hummus spicy by adding 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, and ½ teaspoon smoked paprika.

This creamy, protein-rich roasted red pepper hummus with Greek yogurt goes well with fresh vegetables or pita.

Sources:

ACedarSpoon.com

Healthline.com

100% Fresh Food News, Right at Your Fingertips!
Find out everything you need to know about clean and healthy eating when you sign up for our FREE email newsletter. Receive the latest news on all the top superfoods, recipes, natural remedies, diets, food tips, and more!
Your privacy is protected. Subscription confirmation required.

Related Articles
Comments
comments powered by Disqus

100% Fresh Food News, Right at Your Fingertips!
Find out everything you need to know about clean and healthy eating when you sign up for our FREE email newsletter. Receive the latest news on all the top superfoods, recipes, natural remedies, diets, food tips, and more!
Your privacy is protected. Subscription confirmation required.

Popular articles